Everyone needs to get one at some point as the Ghana ID card helps Ghanaian citizens get around as well as register for amenities such as mobile phones and banking. So getting one is important. Here are some simple steps to help
Getting a Ghana ID card, also known as the Ghana Card, for the first time involves the following steps:
- Registration: Visit a National Identification Authority (NIA) registration center to register for the Ghana Card. You will need to provide your personal details, such as your full name, date of birth, and residential address. You will also need to provide supporting documents, such as a birth certificate or passport, to prove your identity.
- Biometric data capture: After registering, you will be required to undergo biometric data capture, which involves capturing your fingerprints, iris, and facial features. This is done to verify your identity and ensure the accuracy of the information you provided during registration.
- Card production: Once your biometric data has been captured, the NIA will process your application and produce your Ghana Card. The card will be printed with your personal details and biometric information, and will serve as your official identification document.
- Collection: After your card has been produced, you will be notified to collect it at a designated NIA center. You will need to bring the same identification documents you provided during registration as proof of identity.
How much does it cost to get a Ghana ID card?
Getting a Ghana ID card is free, however, if you want to have the ID card done quickly “express” then you will have to pay a fee (250GHc) and go to a main ID branch office. Below are ID offices we are aware of as of writing (March 2023)
- National Identification Authority (NIA) head office, behind Gulf House, Shiashie
- Accra International Conference Center, Osu
- Cal bank head office, Ridge
- Cal bank, Tema Industrial Area branch
- Cal bank, Takoradi Harbour branch
- Cal bank, Nhyiaeso branch, Kumasi
- Cal bank, Tarkwa old UTC building
- FIMS Premium Lounge Centre, VFS Ghana Cantonment Next to GOETHE Institute
It’s important to note that the process for getting a Ghana Card may vary depending on your location and the availability of registration centers. You may also be required to pay a fee for the card, which varies depending on the type of card and your citizenship status.