Kotoka International Airport is the the gateway to Ghana and nothing beats the feeling of touching down here. If you are lucky and you get the obligatory claps or applause as the plane touches down which is quickly followed by the jostling in seats. As passengers prepare themselves to disembark you know you are about to have a great experience. Everyone waits for the ping of the fasten your seat belt signs to go off and the pilot to announce over the speaker “cabin crew doors to manual”
As a passenger you are only a few minutes away from something we feel many take for granted. Wherever you have traveled from there is something quite special about that moment when the doors open for the first time. Up until September 2018 when disembarking from your plane passengers would have had the experience of feeling the cabin gradually starting to fill with the warm humid and sometimes moist air of Accra. As passengers had to disembark by stairs and make a short walk to the terminal.
However, since 2018 the Kotoka Airport has had a slight facelift so all arrivals have to go via air bridges to the terminal. However, the realization that you have arrived in West Africa is not all lost. Apart from the obvious glossy billboards and visual displays which all feature Ghanaians the moment you clear baggage claim the walk to the exist is one to cherish. At times it can be over whelming considering the relative quiet in the baggage hall to the euphoria of waiting relatives and friends outside.
This is when you realize you are in Ghana. For frequent travelers many have become immune to this experience and just rush to their friends and families and jump into their waiting transport. But next time take a moment as you walk through those exit doors and soak it all up knowing that you are welcome…..Akwaaba!
If you are planning to travel to Ghana after covid?
Check out vlogger Vannessa Kanbi on her last trip to Ghana in September 2020
She managed to travel as soon the borders were open and provided a good overview of what it was like to travel with all the extra covid restrictions
- Get tested before you travel so that you have a negative test
- Have patience- the waiting around time on arrival can take time
- Wear a mask so that you do not get embarrassed when asked to
Some interesting facts about Kotoka International Airport in Accra
- Did you know that Kotoka International Airport has the capacity to accommodate the Airbus A380?
- The airport is operated by Ghana Airports Company Limited (GACL) which was established as a result of the decoupling of the existing Ghana Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) in line with the modern trends in the aviation industry.
- The airport also works as a hub for domestic flights to and from Kumasi, Takoradi which is provided by Africa World Airlines and PassionAir They also provide flights to Lagos in Nigeria
For more general information on the airport check out Wikipedia.
Currently there are just over 18 airlines that fly regularly into Kotoka International Airport so where ever you start your journey you can be sure there is an airline that can get you to Ghana.